Monday, May 23, 2011

Digital Literacy

     Nowadays, people are managing many technological devices using Internet. The use of technology has allowed people around the world to be informed about almost everything. They communicate and share knowledge as well. Nevertheless, to be able to manage those technological devices does not mean we are digitally competent.

     The heart of digital literacy is to be willing to adapt our skills to a new means. According to Gilster (1997,p. xii) “our experience of the internet will be determined by how we master its core competencies”. In this sense, digital literacy is defined as “the ability to understand and use information in multiple formats from a wide range of sources when it is presented via computers” (op. cit, p. 1).

     Regarding this definition, firstly, it could be stated that it is not only a matter of acquiring skills of finding things using internet, but also we need to acquire the ability to use these things in our life. Secondly, one important issue to be considered when using internet is the ability to make informed judgments about what we have found on-line, that is, to think critically about it. Gilster (op. cit) considers that this is one of the digital competencies we should acquire as well. Finally, developing search skills is yet another core competency which should be acquired since we have to read and select reliable information.

     To illustrate this process, I put myself as an example. To write this reflection about this topic (Digital literacy), I used my computer and the internet connection to find information. However, I had to read a big amount of information about it but nothing seemed reliable to me. I read and thought about what material should be selected, finally, I chose what it seemed more suitable and reliable for this topic. I should say that I am not digitally competent as I would like to. I am on the right path, though.




No comments:

Post a Comment